This document presents a consolidated summary of urgent activities
required to advance preparedness, as elaborated in each country's
national plan, with a particular focus on Priority 1 countries. It
presents the estimated requirements, needs, and gaps for each of the
Priority 1 countries and a summary for Priority 2 countries, as
aligned for the period of July to December 2019.
The major areas of focus for the plan will be:
- Social mobilization and community empowerment (health promotion & education for disease prevention);
- Promotion of access to safe water, good sanitation and hygiene;
- Surveillance and laboratory confirmation of outbreaks;
- Prompt case management and infection control;
- Complementary use of oral cholera vaccine (OCV) for cholera endemic communities; and
- Coordination and stewardship between and for all actors.
- Monitoring, supervision, evaluation and operation research to ensure continued improvement in service delivery.
Regional Network for Equity in Health in east and southern Africa (EQUINET): Disussion Paper 110
This report compiles evidence from published, grey literature and key informants on the UNMHCP since its introduction in Uganda’s health system, and findings were further validated during a oneday national stakeholder meeting.
Three main factors motivated introduction of the UNMHCP. First, Uganda, along with other lowincome countries, was unable to implement holistically the primary healthcare (PHC) concepts as set out in the Alma Ata Declaration. Second, the macro-economic restructuring carried out in the 1990s, which was an international conditionality for low-income countries to access development financing, influenced the trend towards more stringent prioritisation of health interventions as a means of rationing and targeting use of resources. Third, the government sought to achieve equity with a service package that would be universally available for all people.
The purpose of the Child Survival Strategy is to provide policy makers and practitioners alike with a clear direction on the priority actions required to reduce the unacceptable burden of child deaths in Uganda.