Good Practices in Mental Health & Well-being
Suicides take a high toll. Over 800 000 people die by suicide every year and it is the second leading cause of
death in 15-29-year-olds. Most suicides occur in low- and middle-income countries where resources
and services, if they do exist, are often scarce and limited for early identification, treatment and support of
people in need. These striking facts and the lack of implemented timely interventions make suicide a serious
global public health problem that needs to be tackled urgently.
SUI supporting material
• Person stories
• Role plays
• Multiple choice questions
• Video link
Activity 2: mhGAP SUI module – assessment and management
Le suicide est évitable. Pourtant, toutes les 40 secondes, une personne se suicide quelque part dans le monde et bien plus tentent de mettre fin à leurs jours. Aucune région ni aucune tranche d’âge n’est épargnée. Il touche toutefois particulièrement les jeunes de 15 à 29 ans, chez qui il constitue la deuxième cause de mortalité à l’échelle mondiale
• Promote respect and dignity for people with self-harm/suicide.
• Know the common presentations of self-harm/suicide.
• Know the principles of assessment of self-harm/suicide.
• Know the management principles of self-harm/suicide.
• Perform an assessment for self-harm/suicide.
• Assess and manage co-morbid physical health conditions
• Assess and manage emergency presentations of self-harm/suicide.
• Provide psychosocial interventions to persons with self-harm/suicide.
• Provide follow-up sessions for people with self-harm/suicide.
• Refer to mental health specialists and links to outside agencies